The number of solutions and apps available grows daily. Navigating which one is the best is very confusing.
Some are free and some require a subscription. The free ones often work very well for Development Organisations as there are not recurring fees once fuinding starts.
Below is our latest list.
For mobile data collection we have:
- Command Mobile is a free tool for mobile surveys, onsite inspections and field surveillance.
- Data Winners is a paid for mobile data collection and communication service.
- Epicollect is a free system where data is collected using multiple devices and all data and viewed on a central server.
- KoBo Toolbox is a free open-source tool for mobile data collection.
- ODK Collect is free and an easy way to collect data of all types.
- UDACAPI a flexible system with many options.
- Ona is a paid for platform.
- PoiMapper is a paid for app enables field workers to collect, update and share field data.
- ViewWorld allows dynamic data collection and organization by project grouping.
- CommCare enables organizations to create and deploy mobile apps for frontline workers.
- Fulcrum App is a mobile form platform.
- Magpi is a data collection and messaging application with rich functionalities to address field data collection and broadcast messaging needs, with both free and paid subscription levels.
- Activity Info for data collection and reporting on activities which are dispersed but has a high cost
- AkvoFlow is a paid for data collection tool for collecting, evaluating and displaying any quantity of geographically referenced data.
- TaroWorks enables organizations working in remote areas to manage data and field operations in real-time.
- iFormBuilder is a mobile data collection platform offering advanced form building on iOS and Android devices.
For GIS we have:
- Google My Maps to create and share custom maps.
- QGIS a popular free solution.
- Carto a cloud computing platform that provides GIS and web mapping tools for display in a web browser.
- GIS Cloud is a web based platform for delivering simple and easy to use geo applications.
- Mango an online GIS tool that allow users to create fully featured web maps in minutes.
- ArcGIS Online a cloud-based mapping and analysis solution. Collector.
- MapInfo Pro is a desktop geographic information system software.
- Ushahidi allows users to receive reports with automatic alerts from many sources including SMS.
To analyse data and visualise we have:
- DHIS 2 is a open source software combining data capture with data visualization.
- Microsoft Power BI a powerful and popular system that works very well with excel.
- Tableau Public is part of Tableau a popular data analysis tool.
- DataHero’s focus is on data visualization, such as charts, pivot tables, and live dashboard productions.
For on line surveys we have many and includes:
- Typeform is an online survey software with a very user-friendly interface that allows users to put surveys together themselves
- Survicate allows users to trigger targeted surveys across various locations of their website.
- SurveyMonkey a well-known online survey software and questionnaire tool
- SurveyGizmo similar to SurveyMonkey.
- Crowdsignal allows users to conduct surveys by embedding surveys on their website or inviting respondents via email.
- Google Forms is a free online survey software and questionnaire tool that allows its users to quickly and easily put together surveys via a drag & drop interface.
- GetFeedback users can easily build branded surveys.
- Pulse Insights uses a a micro survey platform collecting data in a very simple manner.